Home   Domestic Violence   Criminal Driving   Traffic Tickets   Web Resources   Contact Us   Cahoonbooks
Copyright 2010 The Cahoon Law Office - All rights reserved.

Washington Drunk Driving Attorneys Disclaimer: The DUI Defense, Drunk Driving, DMV Drivers License Suspension, Driving Under the Influence, Driving While Intoxicated or other DUI defense information presented at this site should not be considered formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact a Washington State drunk driving lawyer or attorney for a free initial consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Washington.

My DUI defense law firm serves the following Western Washington communities, among others: Snohomish County, King County, Skagit County, Alderwood, Arlington, Bellingham, Bothell, Brier, Camino Island, Darrington, Edgewood, Edmonds, Everett, Gold Bar, Granite Falls, Index, Lake Stevens, Lynnwood, Marysville, Mill Creek, Monroe, Mountlake Terrace, Tulalip, Mukilteo, Silvana, Smokey Point, Snohomish, Stanwood, Sultan, Woodway, Anacortes, Bow, Burlington, Clearlake, Concrete, Hamilton, La Conner, Lyman, Marbelmount, Mount Vernon, Sedro Wooley, Bellevue, Kirkland, Lake Forest Park, Mercer Island, Redmond, Seattle, Shoreline, Woodinville.

I also serve the following Zip Codes: 98011, 98012, 98020, 98021, 98026, 98033, 98034, 98036, 98037, 98043, 98046, 98052, 98072, 98082, 98087, 98201, 98203, 98204, 98205, 98206, 98207, 98208, 98213, 98223, 98241, 98251, 98252, 98256, 98258, 98259, 98270, 98271, 98272, 98273, 98274, 98275, 98287, 98290, 98291, 98292, 98293, 98294, 98296
Click here to make
an on-line payment
New book by Craig Cahoon
for the families of those facing criminal charges
"What Do I Do Now?" Book Cover




What is a DUI?

Breath Test Refusal

Reading your ADR

BAC Ticket Explained

Alcohol Evaluations
License Suspensions

DMV Hearings

Underage Drivers

Driving without a License

Ignition Interlock License
  Bookmark and Share
Experienced and Aggressive Criminal Defense

There are two ways to lose your license when it comes to DUI charges.  First, conviction for DUI or Physical Control.  Second, because of an Administrative Action.


The length of suspension for a DUI or Physical Control conviction is listed in the DUI Penalties chart.  It depends on two factors: Number of prior DUI convictions within seven years; and whether your BAC breath test was .15 or higher (or you refused to take the test).

Administrative Action

Merely being accused of a DUI will probably cause the Department of Licensing (DOL) to try and take your license from you.  The length of license suspension depends on a couple of factors; but even for your first time, you can lose your license for 90 days. See the DUI Penalties chart for the range of suspension lengths.

This Administrative Suspension is independent from the suspension you may get from a criminal conviction.  In other words, to keep your license you must prevail both in criminal court and in the Department of Licensing administrative hearing.  

Procedure at Arrest

When you are stopped for DUI, the police officer is supposed to give you a hearing request form that details how you request a hearing at DOL.  If you did not get a form click here for an application.  The police will typically punch a hole in your license.  Tear off the bottom portion of the hearing request form and wrap it around your license.  That way if you get stopped again, the police will understand why you have a hole in your license.

Is my license still good if it has a hole in it?

Your license status remains unchanged after your arrest for DUI.  So if it was good before then it's good now and stays that way for sixty days after the stop.  On the sixty-first day, however, your license will be suspended - unless within the first twenty days after the stop you have sent in your hearing request form and requested a hearing.  There is also a fee that must be included with the request form - otherwise DOL will not schedule you a hearing.

You and your lawyer can talk about ways to prepare for the hearing that will give you the best chance of winning.  

Getting your license back

Getting your license back depends on several factors, including your blood alcohol content and whether you were involved in any previous DUI incidents. The suspension letter sent to you by the Department of Licensing lists everything you need to do to get your license back. If you did not get your letter or have questions about what it says, you can contact DOL directly by phone at (360) 902-3900 or by email at

Driver's License Suspensions

How DUI Court Works

DUI Penalties

Charge Reductions

Deferred Prosecutions

Court Watch
How may I help?

Call 866.529.5383

Fax 360.322.7360


The Cahoon Law Office
3405 - 172nd Street NE, #5-242

Arlington, WA 98223

Meetings (appt. Only)

122 East 5th Street
Arlington, WA 98223
Google Map to Building