Home   Domestic Violence   Criminal Driving   Traffic Tickets   Web Resources   Contact Us   Cahoonbooks
Copyright © 2010 The Cahoon Law Office - All rights reserved.

Washington Drunk Driving Attorneys Disclaimer: The DUI Defense, Drunk Driving, DMV Drivers License Suspension, Driving Under the Influence, Driving While Intoxicated or other DUI defense information presented at this site should not be considered formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact a Washington State drunk driving lawyer or attorney for a free initial consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Washington.

My DUI defense law firm serves the following Western Washington communities, among others: Snohomish County, King County, Skagit County, Alderwood, Arlington, Bellingham, Bothell, Brier, Camino Island, Darrington, Edgewood, Edmonds, Everett, Gold Bar, Granite Falls, Index, Lake Stevens, Lynnwood, Marysville, Mill Creek, Monroe, Mountlake Terrace, Tulalip, Mukilteo, Silvana, Smokey Point, Snohomish, Stanwood, Sultan, Woodway, Anacortes, Bow, Burlington, Clearlake, Concrete, Hamilton, La Conner, Lyman, Marbelmount, Mount Vernon, Sedro Wooley, Bellevue, Kirkland, Lake Forest Park, Mercer Island, Redmond, Seattle, Shoreline, Woodinville.

I also serve the following Zip Codes: 98011, 98012, 98020, 98021, 98026, 98033, 98034, 98036, 98037, 98043, 98046, 98052, 98072, 98082, 98087, 98201, 98203, 98204, 98205, 98206, 98207, 98208, 98213, 98223, 98241, 98251, 98252, 98256, 98258, 98259, 98270, 98271, 98272, 98273, 98274, 98275, 98287, 98290, 98291, 98292, 98293, 98294, 98296
Click here to make
an on-line payment
New book by Craig Cahoon
for the families of those facing criminal charges
"What Do I Do Now?" Book Cover

What is minor in possession?

What happens if I am found guilty of minor in possession?

When a court or other juvenile agency notifies us that you have violated the minor in possession law, Department of Licensing (DOL)  will:

Driving record

These convictions and signed diversion agreements do not show on your driving record, only the fact that your license was revoked.

What happens when my driver license is revoked for minor in possession?

Washington driver license

When your license is revoked for minor in possession:

Out-of-state driver license

While your license is revoked for minor in possession:

DOL will notify your home state or province that your license was revoked, and they may take license action there.

How long will my license be revoked?

Your license will be revoked starting 45 days after DOL mails you the notice of revocation.

Type of offense

Length of revocation

First offense

1 year or until your 17th birthday, whichever is longer

Second offense

2 years or until your 18th birthday, whichever is longer

NOTE: Once you are 21 years old, at your request DOL will release any revocations for minor in possession.

Early license reinstatement

Depending on the type of offense, you may be able to reinstate your driver license before the full term of the revocation is completed:

Type of offense

Date when you are eligible for early license reinstatement

Possession of firearms

No early reinstatement available.

First offense, possession of alcohol or drugs

90 days after whichever comes last:

  • Your 16th birthday.
  • The date of conviction or the date the diversion agreement was signed.
  • The date your license was revoked.

Second offense, possession of alcohol or drugs

Whichever comes LAST:

  • Your 17th birthday.
  • One year after the date of conviction or the date the diversion agreement was signed.
  • The date your license was revoked.

Can I get a restricted license while my license is revoked?

No, you cannot be issued any type of driver license or instruction permit while your license is revoked for minor in possession.

Can I contest or appeal the revocation?

You cannot request a hearing for this type of license revocation. However, you can challenge the revocation by requesting that DOL conduct an administrative review.

Only two issues will be considered during the review:

How to request an administrative review

You may request a review within 15 days of the date on the letter you received from DOL notifying you of the license revocation. The letter includes a request form that you may complete and send to DOL:

How can I get my license back?

When the revocation term is over

Once you are eligible to apply for a new license or instruction permit, you must:

Note: Remember to keep your address current with DOL so they can notify you of any changes to your driving status. Report any change of address within 10 days of moving, using the Driver License Change of Address form.

Early license reinstatement

Contact the diversion counselor or court where you were convicted to discuss the possibility of getting your license reinstated early. If they decide to grant your request, they will complete a Request for Early Reinstatement form and send it to DOL. DOL will notify you in writing when you are eligible to apply for a new license or instruction permit.

Related laws

Minor in possession of alcohol

Drug offenses

Firearms offenses


* Source: Washington State Department of Licensing





What is a DUI?

Breath Test Refusal

Reading your ADR

BAC Ticket Explained

Alcohol Evaluations
License Suspensions

DMV Hearings

Underage Drivers

Driving without a License

Ignition Interlock License
  Bookmark and Share
Experienced and Aggressive Criminal Defense
How DUI Court Works

DUI Penalties

Charge Reductions

Deferred Prosecutions

Court Watch
How may I help?

Call 866.529.5383

Fax 360.322.7360


The Cahoon Law Office
3405 - 172nd Street NE, #5-242

Arlington, WA 98223

Meetings (appt. Only)

122 East 5th Street
Arlington, WA 98223
Google Map to Building